Friday, May 8, 2009

Abused dog Therapy?

Can anyone suggest any therapy or training that we can use to help our dog to gain confidence, and get over fears? He is a golden retriever who is a year old, was abused until he was 4months, after which a rescue took great care of him. We adopted him at 10 months, and have worked with him over the past couple of months, just giving him space to gain confidence in us, and also to adjust to the new house. Now he does come to us, on occasion, but is usually frightened by any movements and runs off. Can anyone suggest anything that might help? thanks
Answers:
I have two adopted Chihuahuas. They were both abused. My first physically, the other physically and he was starved. I can't for the life of me figure out how someone could be so insecure in themselves that they would beat a dog. It outrages me.

I gave my dogs space too. They trust me now. One I have had two years. He still cowers if I raise my voice. I don't hit them. Negative training does not work. When strangers pet him he cowers and pees. I don't think he will ever get over it. He does not cower with me anymore. He loves and trusts me, but he does with my family and they see him a lot. I think they gain confidence but I am not sure it ever goes away. It makes me so sad. In time they will become more trusting, it just takes them a while. Just like when we humans have been abused.
I found a wild dog...we kept her in a kennel so we could administer medicine for her skin condition. The only way she could eat was if she approached me and ate out of my hand and then I would talk to her softly. This associated me with, well not only food, but a good experience. Hope this helps!! Hang in there...if you have any more queations, you can email me from my profile!
Yes. I have people that got the dogs inagility training. The dogs seem to really like the feeling of doing something and it gets them out and about around other confident well mannered dogs.
I recently adopted an abused dog. It just takes time. I have three other dogs so that helps. I am consistant with her. If I need to let her know she did wrong I am careful with my voice, and I correct her and move on. No yelling or arguing around Maggie. She has been with me for 4 months now and she is having more and more good days. When she feels like hiding out I let her, sometimes I will just sit with her ( near her hiding place) and talk to her, lots of patting, and praise. Kudos to you for saving him. You will be his hero.
you are doing the right thing. doggie has been seriously tramatized. it will take a long time for him to get over this. just keep showing him you love him and spend quality time with him as much as possible. slowly and i mean slowly but surely he will come around and you will have a super friend for ever. all my pets were abandoned or abused and some have taken longer than others but it does happen.
I have had many rescued or adopted dogs which were either abused or treated very poorly at race tracks, ect.. All I can say is while trying to be as caring as possible, don't baby the dog when he gets scared or nervous. That will just reassure that emotion and he will never be able to gain any confidence. Bieng around other dogs will help also and agility classes or even training classes are a great start.
My best buddy dog came to live with us a year ago. He was 5 and came from an abusive home, and was passed around for a while before we got him, too.
At first he was scared of everything. We gave him space in addition to lots of encouragement, loving contact, and quality interaction.
Space is important, but help him learn that you are his best bud and will look out for him at all cost. Don't allow him to run away every time. He has to be around the trigger (with you there to protect him) before he can become desensitized to it.
Feel him out. If he's not too scared, try to love on him and give him snacks or protect him from another dog/danger. Discipline him lightly and gently. Make him feel that he is super important in your family. With enough support, he will build trust in you and will love you very much for the goodness you give him.
You'll be amazed at the turnaround in his confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment