Friday, May 8, 2009

Advice on little dogs?

I'm thinking about getting a little dog. I mean literally little, like a dachund, chihauhau or mixedbreed (just using size as an example). I think a small dog is a better choice because I have a tiny apartment and also we can go for shorter walks as opposed to the mile upon mile required to satisfy a lovely big labrador sized woofy.
I'm worried that a smaller dog might be more stressed out by being left alone during the working day. Forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong - when I lived with my parents we only ever had bigger breeds.
Are smaller dogs naturally more anxious? Is it ok to leave a dog at home 8.30 to 18:00? Any sensible advice much appreciated. :)
Answers:
Go to the shelter and find a mixed smalldog... tell them your needs and wants for this dog and what you have to offer for this dog and they are usually great about finding just the right one...get an adult or a young adult so you dont have to go thru the potty traing/chewing/etc stage.also ask if the dog you are intersted in is crate trained. you might want to hire a pet sitter do do a mid day walk to relieve it.save a life..smile. you wont regret it and in some way shelter dogs seem to know you have saved them also...you will have a freind for life...smile..are you set on a dog?? there are some great cats in the shelters that need homes also..and you dont have to walk them...just clean the litter box.. good luck in your search...smile
Leaving any dog alone for almost 12 hours a day is never a good idea, unless you have several dogs. More than likely he will get bored and start destroying or chewing things around your house.
Honestly, I think *most* dogs will have a hard time being alone for 9 1/2 hours- what about going outside? I think you could probably do it, if need be and I know many do- but I would strongly suggest that you NOT get a puppy.

In regards to being more anxious, I think it depends on the breed and the dog itself. I know someone with a very laid back Boston Terrier but my husband had a tiny poodle that was anxious if you left it for 10 min.
Dogs of all sizes require attention. How would he toilet if you leave him alone all day? What if he barked all day or tore up your furnishings? Don't be fooled into thinking small dogs don't require a lot of exercise - some breeds are very active. Don't forget that most small dogs have been bred as working dogs and still have that instinct. Personally, I would advise against it - you don't appear to have the time to devote to a dog of any size.

D.
X
visit your local dog refuge/pound %26 see if there's any unwanted or abandoned lil dogs, waiting for a second chance with a nice person like you.
please consider this, before you see a breeder, who fuels the fire, by over-breeding dogs for money with no regard for the consequences.
PLEASE?
hey i have a lil chiawawa and she is just adorable i have school and work and my parents dont let her in the house i plat iwth her wen im not busy but wen im not around she happily keeps herself entertaing with a toy or sumthing, the only problem is the yapping but she is the most behaved lil dog although she is a bit stupid sumtimes she has her bright days wen seh amazes us
well If you would like a smaller dog u have to give it a lot of care and u still have to be responsible it doesn't matter the size of the dog. And leaving your dog for half a day home isn't smart especially when its a puppy and need attention. Also many people spoil dogs like chihauhau or yorki and its not good for them because later on those dogs become aggressive because they think that they are the Alpha male but the best breed for toy group is chihauhau I would say.
Little dogs are definately more easily stressed. Since they are so small they also need to be let outside to go to the bathroom more then larger breeds. It's probably not a good idea to get a dog if it will be alone that long anyways.
I'm sorry to say a small dog need just as much walking as a bigger dog my mum has a yorkie and a pomeranian x yorkie when i go to stay and take my collie (due to age the yorkie cant) the pomie york keeps up with my collie and ofter is still going long after. All this small dog hand bag stuff is just cruel really. I know this is not what you are saying you want.
Also its not fair to leave any dog on its own for that amount of time. if you are still hell bent on getting one and you are away from home for such a long time maybe you need to think about someone that can go and take care of it in the day?
Best wishes
Kerry xXx
I would advise you to get a cat instead of a dog cuz cats will not get emotional being left alone a looooong time.
my sister has a papillion puppy... and it hates being alone, she barks and goes crazy, I think smaller dogs like to bond to one or two people, my sister and mom... if shes not with them she getts worried...but the dog shouldn't be home alone for that long by it self, if you really want a pet, get a cat, a dog would get to loney and could tear up tour house
I think beacause dogs are pack animals they do need more attention than a cat for example, also I think the time is abit too long to leave a dog small or big, I think on average you should take the dog out 3-4 times a day, The problem with leaving a dog on its own is that it could become bored and start chewing stuff in your home as they need quite alot of attention, I hope this has help a little :)
It really depends on the breed of small dog your thinking of,because most animals have different personalities just like we do.When you deside just ask the people at the store and they can get you the perfect little love for your life.My little one is 2 years old (a mixed breed) she has made it through me working two jobs, at one time.And she still loves me very much.
Your Ideal is great , But remember they small dogs and will tend to bark allot (reminder your neighbors might not care for the noise) they tend to be lap dog more and jump around So you have to have patients alot And the BIGGEST thing is to remember that you are NOT IGNORANCE Your human and there are not such thing as a dumb question so ask away if you need help
Dachshunds can be yappy.They have a bark that sounds like a big dog.I just love them.You should hire a pet sitter to come in during the day and take the dog for a walk.They do offer puppy daycare also.Good Luck and lucky you to be able to get a dog.
Yeah, I have little dogs... they can go all day... they require much more exercise than the big dogs... a couple hours at the dog park %26 all the big dogs are tired, mine is still going. he's the energizer bunny on speed laced crack.
actually, I personnaly have a little dog. ( half pekinese half poodle) It's just a little sook. I'm not saying that all little dogs are whiney but.. From what i've seen, most are. On the other hand, I've seen little dogs that have been left inside for several days straight with only someone coming in making sure it's still breathing... I don't think that its ||HORRIBLE|| leave your dog all day alone. I'm just advising you that you shouldn't leave it alone for the first couple of weeks because then it will feel abandoned and alone. This will result in a "sook" dog. If possible, leave the dog at a trustworthy friend's house or a relative's house. (this is if you are working). This should let the dog loosen up a bit to life outside of a cage.

Best of Luck!


Lucas.
I have 3 little dogs and they spend the day alone as both my husband and I work. They really arent any more anxious than the larger breeds. When they were little they would get bored and get into things like the bathroom trash or if something was in the floor like paper they'd shred it but thats any dog. The main thing is to make sure they get plenty of attention while you are home. If you can get a breed that is more laid back in temperment that should help. Have you considered a Cairn Terrier they arent all that big and the one I used to have was very calm. Think Toto from the wizard of Oz. Or how about an Italian Grehound very quiet and laid back. They are about 6 lbs full grown. Also if you dont mind the grooming a pomerain or a yorkie might be good for you. I personally have minature pinchers(look like mini dobies) but fair warning for that breed is that they are kinda hyper lol but I love the breed and will probably have a min pin for the rest of my life I get on with them so well. Hope my answer helped and good luck on finding your new baby.
get a mixed breed little dog and a cat. mixed breeds r more calmer than full bred ones and the cat will keep the dog company. our friend had a little spaniel mix and 3 cats and got along well while he was at work. we only had to go check on them %26 feed them, etc when the owner had 2 go on vacay.
A mini Dachshound would be perfect, they sleep 16 hours a day and are great little snugglers. they sleep under the blankets and have a great disposition.
Little dogs are normally more social and need more attention than larger breeds. Of course this is all generalizing. I have two small dogs and they keep each other company when I am at work. If they were left alone they would be bored, lonely, and destructive. I do not suggest getting a dog and leaving it alone for 9-10 hours a day. If you must be gone so long get two dogs so they have companionship.

Do your research on breeds that are more independant. a beagle might be better since they are more self-sufficient. A pug needs almost constant attention and are very clingy to their people.Take an online quiz to match you up with your ideal breed.
I have a chihuahua, min-pin mix (same size as a chihuahua). I work full time, a part time job, and go to school 2 days a week. I have had no problems with leaving him alone. I litter box trained him (yes, the same way you would train a cat - in a litter box). He picked this up right away and has very few accidents. He entertains himself while I am away. I always come home to his toys all over the house. He sleeps and plays while I'm gone during the day. When I get home, he's always happy to see me and my son. I try to walk him every night or at least take him outside for a little while. He's a great dog. I have noticed no stress at all from him being left alone during the day. Go for it...Little dogs are great!
I think it would be a crime to leave a dog alone for that length of time. What about house training? Wouldn't you be annoyed with the animal if it were messing in the house because it is locked in alone, and the poor creature would not be to blame. Dogs are social creatures and need company. And dont think that just because you have a small dog it means shorter walks. Most small dogs will want as much, if not more, exercise than the bigger dogs. Please dont take a dog on to lock it up all day long. It is somewhat irresponsible.
all dogs are a huge responsability, not matter what size or shape. And you getting a dog, isn't such a good idea, leaving it allone all day, for this long, without being to get outside and have any freedom and when are you going to fit in the two alks a day??
i think this would be anuimal cruelty and am totally against the idea of you leaving a dog alone for this amount of time!!!
Do NOT buy a dog of any size if it is going to be alone for much of the day! It's cruel

No dog should be left for such a time, they are social animals, and I can't see why you would want to get an animal to turn it into a depressed and bored creature!

Also, don't begin to think that small dogs need less exercise than other larger breeds. We have a miniature schnauzer, 12 months old, fully grown at 14", and he could walk for Britain! He's capable of walking for hours.

So don't do it! PLEASE!!
Hi
I originally had a miniture yorkie. To be honest it got harder and harder leaving her all day and it got to a stage where she was depressed and I was depressed leaving her.
We decided to get another, after a week or two they got used to each other and now stay happily together during our working day. I spent about an hour with them before going to work and then they hop into the one basket and settle down together. I make sure I give them lots of attention in the evenings and as for the toilet I have them trained to go on newspapers in the corner of the utility.
Hope this helps somewhat.
Any dog big or small needs your time and attention and lots of love,puppys even more so.left to there own devices will only develope bad habtits due to lack of training and total boredem.Really unless you have a dog sitter while your at work..A dog is out of the question,for the dogs sake..
Hi

I have a little jack russell, as a over protective owner (he my baby) he goes up parents when i work as do 10 hrs a time

Back to the Q, i can leave him for upto 5 hrs max and he fine as long as i've left a treat for him.

I wouldn't like to leave any longer as toilets, if an accident around the house etc

No comments:

Post a Comment