Friday, May 8, 2009

Adjusting to apartment living?

My dog is a pure blood doberman and I have lived in houses with yards her whole life. Will she be able to adjust to living in a apartment? She doesn't like other dogs to much and I wonder if that will be a problem too? Should I give her a chance to adjust or should I just find her a new home before I move? I don't want her to be miserable but I would really miss her if she was gone.
Answers:
Hello..contrary to popular belief most dogs do not need a lot of room, as long you excersize her take her for walks, give her attention..she should be fine...am not sure if you have her leash trained - hopefully she is..if not you will need to work on that especially in an apt type place, if she is that solves that, just wouldn't try the dog parks if she don't like other dogs %26 when you have a dog that don't play well with others.. IS a Dobie.. as we have..we have to muzzle.. many dogs ( especially Dobies ) attach %26 get so protective of their owners..as I'm sure yours is, it may be impossible to find her a home..sometimes to the point it's best to have them put down then to try to find them another home..Take Care :)
Take her with you, just make sure you take her on lots of walks!
That might behard if she is used to being outside but if you take her out often i don't see it being a problem.
Give her a chance to adjust. If you take her for lots of walks, it might work out.
Go ahead and give her a chance to adjust. I am sure that she will be happier staying with you. Dogs are pack animals, and hate to be removed from their pack. You are her pack.

Just remember, it won't be easy. Is she house trained? If not, it could be a long process. She will also need to be taken on a lot more walks than whatever you are giving her now.

I say give her a chance, just don't expect the transition to be imediate (give her at least a month or two, maybe longer). Personally, I would take her with me, and then re-asess her after a year, and see where she is then.
You may have to take it day by day, these are the times you wished your dog could talk. I think its a 50/50 shot. it would work out fine. How old? under the age of 7 they realy do need that outside time.
Take her with you and if you haven't chosen an apartment complex yet look around it is getting more and more popular to find pet friendly apartments that have a off leash pooch park area so they can get out and just run.

when I lived in an apartment my dogs didn't like other dogs and not too many people I just watched them closely when they got around others and invested in a shock collar for training and took them too the off leash pooch park at least once a day with their favorite toy. they got the exercise they needed and learned to be nice when around others and after a while if they are good with other dogs and people they can go in groups out and it can be a really good way for u and your dogs to socialize.

No comments:

Post a Comment