Friday, May 8, 2009

After a dog is neutered how long does it take for him to quit marking?

I just had a dog neutered and he is peeing on everything in sight including me. How long does this behavior last? I don't know how many more times I can wash my jeans today!
Answers:
If he has just been neutered, and has never done this before, it's possible that he may have some infection that is making him pee more than usual. An irritation of the urethra could be the cause. I would give the vet a call, just to be on the safe side.

It can take up to 6 months sometimes for the hormone levels to decrease. But this doesn't sound like a hormone problem.
3 weeks
He may never stop "marking." My sister's pittie is neutered and he doesn't mark on the inside of the house, as long as it is outside he'll mark it!
It usually takes a couple of weeks for the testosterone levels to go away but it varies from dog to dog. Good Luck
Next time get a female dog. Old habits are hard to break
Sometimes it never goes away- if your dog was fixed when he was an adult, the behavior may just be ingrained. If he is marking YOU it sounds more like a training issue- if he saw you as pack leader, he wouldn't DARE mark you.
never my brother's dog marks everything still
Neutering will not stop this. Do some research. He is peeing on you? You need to work with your dog so he learns it is not ok to pee on people.
My 8 yr old still marks when he leaves our house - visiting my parents, staying at friends, walking around the block - but he has never peed on me. He does rub against my legs like a cat from time to time. He was a little over a year old when we got him from the Humane Society and that's when he was neutered.
Well. cause he wasn't neutered when he was young, and was allowed to lift his leg and mark things.. It's going to be something that you are going to have to teach him now how NOT to do it.. He likely wouldn't have even started if he was neutered young, but now it's a training thing..

Don't let him mark you at all.. He is owning you, You own him, he doesn't own you!
The marking may or may not stop. I have two males (both neutered) one marks, the other could care less. How many times has he "marked" you? Did he actually lift his leg when he marked you? I have some dogs in my family that "wet" the floor as soon as I start talking to them. This could be because they are being submissive or because they are excited. Definitely not a "marking" behavior. If your dog lifts his leg to "mark" you then you have some boundary issues and need to step up on the BASIC OBEDIENCE. The quicker you re-affirm yourself as HIS alpha, the sooner you can stop washing your jeans three times daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment