Friday, May 21, 2010

Anyone tried biking with their dog?

Has anyone tried this? Did it work for you? How did you do it? Anyone tried one of the poles that extends from your bike that you leash them up to? I have a Smooth Fox Terrier with tons of energy and could never run it out of him (I would never be able to keep up and I highly doubt anyone could) just wondering if this would be a good exercise for us both.
Answers:
I do. I use a Springer:

http://www.springerusa.com

My dogs are over 100#. Running on a leash can be really dangerous, even with a small dog. It doesn't take much to upset your center of gravity. Off-leash with a Terrier is a bad idea especially around squirrels. I like to run my hounds. It's a great idea for a Fox Terrier.
I do it but just hold the leesh and the handle at the same time(tip: keep a treat in your hand too!).
Did try it but her paws didn't reach the pedals. Sorry. Yes, it's great as long as the dog likes it, and let's face it, 99 per cent of dogs would! Just pick your route carefully and don't put your dog in danger from cars.
I tried it but the dog's legs were too short to reach the pedals.
Would love to and have tried. We went on the bike trail and it was impossible. She kept running in front of the bike and got in the way of runners..I couldn't ride and ended up walking home with her...pushing my bike. Although we never got very far. We plan on trying again when we go camping, with much less traffic. Is there any easy way to do this. She could use a good run along with my bike. Just don't want to hurt her. So I gave up trying..
Oh yeah i had tried it out with my doberman ( after the realease of dalmatians :)) on the first day i took him across the street my doggy saw my brother across the street and started running towards him . he ran so fast i lost control of the bike and both of us fell down with bruises all over my feet and a cut over his feet (although he still was intrested in getting to my bro ) from that day on no more biking with my dog i prefer to take him for a walk.
i havent actually tied it but i think it would be ok.just choose a safe route awway from cars and make sure you can hold the leash while biking
Hi , just hold him at leases you might have some control or just walk, it's just as good for you both .
There was a feller in a little town we lived in had 2 husky's , and had them pulling him all over town .
He made his pushy like a sled on wheels , and dogs in harness and used all the commands used for a sled dogs as well ,
it was great to see him and GE can them dogs move , lol
He all so road a motorbike and had a little trailer made for them , it looked like a old western waggon ,with windows to stick there heads out , it was cool to see them working as a team ,
Yes, I did it for years until I bought my horse, and then the dogs ran beside the horse! I never tried the pole or a leash, because the dogs (GSD's) were well trained. Commands like Down, Wait, Over, Sit, etc. were all so well instilled in them that the transition to the bike (and then the horse) were easy. You need to do basic obedience first. It's great fun, and the dogs love it.
As a kid without anything extra attached, I tried this with a Irish Setter - great stuff! No problem. However, before my first child, I tried the same thing with my pointer. Not to be recommended unless you're very close to a hospital...

I won't be trying it again, with or without any attachments, lol, so if you get it right, I appluad you! :D
If that is basically the main thing you want look for a trainer near you that does Schultzhund training,as a dog going through that training must be able to run beside a bike for 10k's(roughly 6 miles) to pass the physical aspect of the training.And ask him/or her to teach your dog how to do that or get training tips from them,me,I let mine " walk the horses" every day.I clip the lead onto the horses harness and Chips takes it and they go for a walk around the pasture,depending on the weather depends on how long the walk is.The hardest thing there wasn't teaching the dog to walk the horses,but getting the horses used to and accepting the dog leading them around.

No comments:

Post a Comment