Friday, May 21, 2010

Anyone who owns a German Shepherd can help..?

Ok, I own a few basset hounds right now. Later on...around next year or so I'm going to get another dog. I want a dog who can freely walk off the leash.because our Bassets can't. Once they catch a smell theyre gone. And well I think German Shepherds have a very beautiful look. Normally I hate all these big popular dogs: Labs, Golden Retrievers, Yorkies, etc. but there is something about The German Shepherd dog that grabs my attention.

Would a German Shepherd fit in well with us?
-We have a few Basset Hounds...my question is do they get along good with Bassets?
-All of our dogs are well trained, so it would be too.
-We own 100 acres. We have pens we keep the dogs in of course, but I want a dog that walks well off the leash and does well in water[we have a nice sized creek] Can the GSD handle being off leash and swim decently?

any answers will be greatly appreciated.

We just got a Basset hound puppy to add to our addition yesterday so we won't be getting a GSD, until late
Answers:
I've had two Shepherds in my lifetime and would absolutely recommend them as a pet. I would further suggest that you purchase one that is pure German Shepherd, rather than a mix. They make excellent pets, the best watchdogs in my opinion and are very loyal to their owner. They train well. I see no reason why one wouldn't get along with your Bassett Hounds - mine got along very well with a cat as well as a yappy mixed breed, as well as a Border Collie. Actually, my Max (Shepherd) trained the Border Collie if you can imagine that!

Now as far as being off leash, my dogs were police-trained and I had no issues with them obeying commands when off leash. As far as the water, when we took him to the beach, he tested the water but wasn't too thrilled about going in but that could be because it was the beach. I do know this - there would be no hesitation on a GS's part to jump in the water if he/she thought you or your family was in danger - none at all.

Also, both of mine were males so if I were to again have a dog (in apt - not conducive to a GS), I would lean towards a male again. Don't know that gender would make a difference in temperament but maybe someone else has had a female and could respond to their experience?
you may have a good dog
I think a GSD would be great. We had one who recently had to be put down. But we also had a creek and a bunch of land, she would always run the creek for hours and come back with my doberman soaking wet. However far she went, she always stayed around the farm, never ran from us.

They are GREAT dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment