Monday, May 24, 2010

Are corn cobs harmfull to dogs?

After I eat corn- on- the- cob, I give the cob to my dog. Will this hurt him? After all, there only plant material.
Answers:
Yeah, but they don't break down and can cause intestintal blockage.
Many dogs love to chew on corn cobs -- most love the taste of the salt, butter, and bits of corn, plus they are just fun to chew. However... corn cobs can cause intestinal obstruction, a very serious (and potentially fatal) medical condition. Additionally, some dogs are allergic to corn and can suffer intestinal effects from allergy as well as the cob obstruction.
I doubt it. Why would they be? Sounds like a good source of fiber and excellent tooth brush type treat to me.
yes yes yes yes yes

corn cobs can cause intestinal obstruction / bloat.

I have seen 3 cases in one year of corn on the cob related dog deaths, both eaten cobs, and full cobs.

http://www.tenderfoottraining.com/danger...
Yes the corn cobs can cause blockages in the dogs intestins. Dont allow your dog to chew on them. The risk isn't worth it.
not a good idea why on earth would you do this...
no
Yes, very your pup can get it caught in it's throat.
Yup could get caught in his guts.
Don't feed the corn cob to your dog. This can cause an intestinal obstruction which would require surgery, or could potentially cause death. It is best to avoid corn cobs.
Do NOT give your dog corn cobs..these are harmful to dogs. They can cause blockages. They do not digest in a dogs system and can damage the intestines.

I've seen a lot of surgeries performed to remove corn cobs from a dog.
Everyone has been absolutely correct about the intestinal blockage that can result so I am adding nothing new. What I will add is what you could be in for. My APBT pup, and the other two, got into the garbage. She got very sick and could not keep even water down. It got so bad I could not wait for the vet to open the next morning, so it was off to the emergency clinic. She had a blockage and needed surgery. Turned out to be half a corn cob. Bottom line, the cost was more than $3000.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment