Monday, May 24, 2010

Are Great Danes Agressive Toward Other Dogs??

I am considering getting a one year and a half old Great Dane, however right now I have a 65-70 pd female German Shepherd who is spayed, she is not agressive toward other animals at all. However, I am afraid to introduce the two if the Dane breed is known to be agressive toward other dogs. The Dane is already 130 pounds and could potentially hurt my shepherd if they are indeed agressive. The owners of the Dane say he is well mannered and "a big baby" my shepherd needs a playmate. Id love to have another big dog and Ive done my research but cannot find any info on the agressiveness of the dog toward other dogs. Please Help. Id prefer answers from those who "know" rather than those who are guessing. Thanks Allot
Answers:
Actually Danes are one of the most laidback of all breeds. You don't say if the Dane is a male or female. With a male, there should be no problem at all. With a female, you need to be more cautious, since females of any breed may not be too welcoming to another. Introduce them on neutral ground, not at your home, and keep each one a leash until you are sure they are all right with each other. With your female being spayed, this is a big plus.

A 1 1/2 year old Dane is still a puppy, it won't be completely mature until it is 3 years old. So it is going to be bouncy and lively, you must immediately start obedience classes, if it hasn't already.

They are a very people loving breed, and can be very clingy. Your shepherd may not like that at first. When I bring in a new Dane (I rescue and foster, as well as having 3 Danes of my own and a foster right now), I put up a baby gate between two rooms and let them get used to each other with one in each room. I supervise them whenever they are together. After a couple of days, the gate isn't necessary, and they have things all worked out between them by then.

I hope it all works out for you, they would have a wonderful time together. My guys are very fond of small dogs, and love to play with them. It's a real hoot to see a 10 lb shih tzu ordering a 150 lb Great Dane off the couch, and the Dane meekly obeying!
No, but it does depend on how they are raised. I have several friends with great Danes and they love them and would never think of getting a different breed of dog.
It really depends on the dog, danes can be "big babies" thats for sure, but they are not known to be push overs.

When they are introduced, it should be on neutral ground (so there is no 'territory' for either dog) and both dogs should be on leashes. Let them sniff from a far, and slowly move them closer. You will be able to tell if there is any tension or one dog seems to be scared or aggressive, watch the dogs and their body language closely.

Good luck! Great Danes are awesone dogs.

Just for fun, how cute is this?? =)http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/dogs/images...
It varies. Have you asked whoever is taking care of the Dane if he's aggressive? All dogs are different, and just because someone might say they're aggressive doesn't mean that particular dog will be.

Maybe you should get the dogs together and see if they like each other first. Also make sure neither your dog or the dog you might be getting are territorial. Your dog may even be territorial. Dogs act totally different outside than they do inside sometimes.
i used to have one and usually no they are not aggressive to other dogs. the only time they are aggressive is if they are provoked or attacked first.
All dogs can be agressive if they are raised wrong. Great Danes are not known for any natural agression, but if he was abused then he could be. Just introduce them with one person holding each leash and see how they do. Most dogs just want to play!
It all depends on the previous owners, but from my experience, EVERY great dane I have met, has been a lovable, big couch pillow who likes to lounge around! I don't think you will have a problem with the two.
I think a well socialized Dane would be no problem; they're great dogs (no pun intended). Before you take the dog, introduce the two of them to each other in an open area (not the Dane's house or yours where territory is an issue). Meet the Dane's owner at a dog park or other open space and see how they get along. Trust me, what you see will be what you get.
Not that I know of. A friend of mine had two danes, a dalmation and a lab and they got along great. Danes are sweet dogs for the most part---big and impressive to intruders and gentle enough to play with you and the kids. It depends on both dogs and their personalities, not the breed.
I am not a dog expert but I do know that even if a breed is said to be animal agressive, that doesnt mean that they are all that way. My uncle has 3 full grown great danes, (2 males and 1 female, they are the black and white patched ones.. lol.. SO cute!) not one of them is animal agressive or human agressive!... I have 2 american pit bull terriers that love everyone! American pit bull terriers were bred to fight other animals (including dogs) and are know to be animal agressive.. BUT neither of mine are. I also know several people who own "pit bulls" and none of their dogs are animal or human agressive... Anyway, my point is that it all depends on the individual dog. I dont know if great danes are said to be animal agressive or not, but the great danes I know are not animal agressive atall.
I adopted a Dane a couple years ago and he was fine with other dogs. It reallly depends on if he has been socialized or not. He only got aggressive if a strange dog came running up to me. He was actually afraid of smaller dogs because the foster people had one and she was mean to him. After a couple days he didn't have a problem with any of our Pekingese. I would introduce them on leashes and see what happens. If all goes well then try letting them play and see what happens. Observe their behavior for a few days and if everything is fine you shouldn't have any problems.
i own 2 great danes and a labradoodle. they all get along great.
the only time danes get mean and aggressive is if they are raised that way. they are very big babies. my 1 yr old is 180 lbs. and he plays with my 40 lbs. labradoodle just fine. they know they are big and can be heavy. they are very smart about themselves. just make sure you can devote the time to them to keep them happy.
I got my great dane about 3 yrs ago (he is 6 now) and brought him into a house with 2other boxers!! he is one of the best dogs i have ever had. people always refer to them as the gentle giants!!! i have had other dogs snap at my dane at the dog parks but he just ignores them and kinda just turns his head and walks away (big baby)! my dogs nick anme is LOVEBUG!!! but just be careful with your dog get them together for a weekend and see how they do out in like a big field!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment