Friday, May 21, 2010

Apartments and dogs ..?

So I've been looking into apartments that allow dogs and I just had a few questions ..

1. I only have my Dachshund puppy, do I have to pay like a pet fee?
2. What happens if I get another dog? Does the pet fee go up?
3. Should I ask how many pets/dogs I can have at one time?

I've never lived in an apartment and its my first time I will be living by myself and I'm so nervous! I just want the best for me and my pup and dont want to wind up having the landlord force me to get rid of my puppy. I will obviously leave if I couldnt keep her, but could that ever happen?

Does anyone live in an apartment with a dog(s)? Any other tips to not getting screwed over and looking into a good dog apartment? .. I'm also worried about potty training, shes about 95% house trained .. but I can get to the door quick at my moms house. So I dont know. Any advice would help alot.

And I noticed they finally added a Horse category to the Pets Section and Rodents! Thats cool :] LOL

Thanks guys!
Answers:
HI Honey,
Well you should first look at Apartment that will allow your dog in the first place. Then ask if there is a damage deposit because you have a dog. Then ask if they will increase the deposit if you get another dog. some building do require a Pet damage deposit and it cover any number of pets you want but some limit the number of pets you can have. When looking for your very first apartment. Look where you can go for walks and make sure it's a safe area. (This is mom in me coming out lol). If you find the right apartment ask your dad to look over the contract before you sign it. I know your excited and nervous but have him take a quick look to make sure there are no hidden charges anywhere. OK
Potty training may have a set back in a new place so dont be discouraged. I know you will do a great job getting your pup right back on track. Have your mom go to Costo and get you a case of paper towels.
Have a ball looking! How exciting for you.
First, find an apartment that allows dogs. Make sure that breed of dog is allowed in that apartment complex. I would recomend getting a bottom floor unit since its easier to get the dog in and out. Is your dog a barker? You need to stop this habbit or use a bark collar for when you are not home- because if complaints are made... then your in trouble. You ALWAYS pay a pet fee and its never refundable. Basically this is for when your dog pees on the carpet or puts a whole in the wall. This fee is usually $300-$600 depending on your complex. If you get a second dog (i wouldn't recomend it though) yes you usually pay an additional non refundable $200-$300 per dog. Yes, you need to ask all the pet rule details while looking around. Try and find a more pet friendly apartment complex. You most definatly can get kicked out. I first moved into an apartment when I was 18. I was dumb and started with one dog, then two, then three (a great dane of all dogs). Then I got 2 cats, 1 bird and 2 ferrets. Basically... I got kicked out. I went over the pet limited. People complained about the noise and the dogs themselves.
-Keep to one pet, much easier for you
-Take your dog out often until he is 100% housetrained (every hour)
-Crate train your dog
-Dachshunds are known to bark, so keep this in mind when you leave
-Find a good complex with nice people (pet friendly)
-Get a bottom floor unit (believe me, you will thank me in the end)

Good luck, don't let what happend to me, happen to you!!!
I live in a apartment. We have to pay $25.00 a month for her and for each animals as well. Our place goes by how big the dog is?? They would rather the dog not be over 60 pounds. We had to put down $250.00 for damage to apartment if any when we leave.You need to ask when you are looking into the apartment how many animals you are allowed to have.How much rent for each animal?
You will or should sign a contract when you rent the apartment. That way it will say in words so the landlord can not comeback on you and say you can't have any animals.
Good Luck finding one!!!
p.s. Since you have a small dog it will do fine in a apartment.
I live in an apartment and have a puppy and two cats. Pet fees depend on the policy of individual landlords; so do other things such as number of pets allowed and size of pets. My landlord is rather lax and hasn't pushed collecting the pet fee. I'm fortunate!
I use pee pee pads for the puppy in the apt. and I take her out as well (when it is convenient). You just need to find out what the policy is where you live regarding pets.
I also have a dachshund and live in apartment, we had to pay a $200 non-refundable deposit and have to pay an extra $25 a month. Most places seem to charge the same thing around my area but usually you do have to pay more if you have more than one pet. Just to mention, dachshunds dig, she dug 2 wholes in my carpet so I see why they charge they extra amount. Make sure you always clean up your poo-poo messes to.
usually what happened you have to pay a pet dep0sit fee for each pet you have. then your rent plus your pet fee each month all together included. if you have more than one pet then yes you have to pay more for the pet fee. if i were you keep it down to one because it gets pretty expensive having more than one pet to take care. and sometimes apartments don't allow pets. you need to check first to see if thay are allowed to be in the apartments. go to the web www.apartment finders.com and do your homework. hope this helps.
Check your contract really carefully for damages done by dog, how many are allowed, etc. Also check if you can be evicted because of the dog.
Nice choice of doggy!

No comments:

Post a Comment