Friday, May 21, 2010

Are Basset Hounds good at swimming?

We are planning on moving and are looking at houses with in-ground pools in the backyard. I have seen some videos on YouTube and Flickr of Basset Hounds swimming, but I was not sure if it is with all Bassets or just some of them. Any tips or suggestions?
Answers:
A basset can swim, with difficulty, for a short distance only. They've got very short front legs, combined with massive weight in their front end. You seriously need to consider fencing your pool if your dog is going to be near it unsupervised. The other option is drown-proofing him through training - teaching him to stay away.
Any dog can swim, its just that certain dogs like it better than others. Bassets however have a history of ear infections, so I would thoroughly dry his ears off whenever they get wet.
No. I mean, look at them! Besides, if you already have a Basset that doesn't swim, he won't learn. Though if their life is in danger, most dogs can manage a few strokes.

If you really want that pool, of course you'll make sure the Basset can't walk over the edge. But perhaps more important, and this is true for ANY kind of dog, there needs to be something in your pool that allows the dog to get a footing and get out in case they _do_ fall in. Many "great" swimmers have drowned in family pools because, even though they could swim, there was nothing for them to grasp to get out of the pool. No dog can swim forever!
I drown proofed all my dogs. Every summer I would take each dog into the pool and guide them to the shallow end that had nice wide steps that they could get out. Then I would put them in again and let them swim and just call them to the steps. They all knew how to get out. I even drown proofed my litter of 8week old puppies just in case.

I never left my puppies or any new dogs near the pool unless I was home.

Do not count on a Basset swimming. Find out if your dog can swim, carefully with other people to help you if the dog panics. Many dogs drown in pools even with steps. The dog has to know how to get out or has to be fenced out just like a child.

Some Bassets are so big and heavy with such crooked legs, I doubt they can swim. Other builds maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment