Monday, May 24, 2010

Are German Shepherds good guard dogs?

hi i wanna know if female german shepherds are good guard dogs. I have a female 17 week old german shepherd i wanna know when she will become more protective and her guarding instincts come about like at what age in her life...Please can neone tell me what age she will become protective...and i will give my dog the best care and love so people dont have to give me any long lectures about dog care just experienced people who know.thank you. Also just as a side question which sex of dog is more aggressive and protective to intruders and strangers?
Answers:
I own a 20 month old male GSD so I have a little experience with this. Ours became fully protective of our family around 12-14 months old ( he would bark at strangers to let me know someone was near our home, however if he knew them he would give one small bark and that was it) as to which sex is better at guarding?...it all depends on the dog and there personality. just my opinion, hope it helped.
every dog is different.

if you baby her though, she's not gonna be aggressivve.

don't they have schools for guard dogs?
i'm not really sure. i had one once and it was a really good dog, but we didn't really train it to be a watch dog. i know that they are cute though,but i bet that doesn't help much.
YES!

Imagine an alarm system that travels with you, is not easily inactivated, and interprets what it detects with a brain programmed by nature to read body language. Remember that many violent crimes are perpetrated by people known to their victims. People who are likely to be admitted into your home past your current detection system and then suddenly reveal their violent intent. That sudden change is easily detected and challenged by a well bred and trained dog.

The German Shepherd Dog (GSD) is a versatile working-dog, capable of being trained to perform a wide variety of tasks. GSDs are family pets, police dogs, guide dogs, search and rescue dogs, bomb and drug detection dogs, sheep and cattle herders, hunting companions, guard dogs, obedience champions, avalanche dogs, assistance dogs, show dogs, and more. Regardless of their particular role, GSDs are excellent companions provided they receive the attention, training, and exercise they need and feel useful.

on a personal note, my dad has bread and trained these dogs for over 25 years. Trained for guard dog, drugs, bombs, search and rescue etc. they have even served on the RCMP. These dogs are fantastic for what you are looking for. Good luck :)
We had two dogs, a tiny terrier and a German shepherd. That was a fantastic combination. The terrier heard things before the German Shepherd did and her barking would alert the bigger dog.
Our German Shepherd was very protective. She was an excellent guard dog. Our house was the only house in the street that wasn't burgled. I can't remember how old she was, but it was under a year. Certainly I wouldn't expect anything of your dog before it is full grown. And I don't know that the gender of the dog makes any difference.
What do mean my protective? Of you, your house, your yard?

GSDs are very territorial, if they are not properly trained, you could have a mess on your hands. You would want her to protect you from an intruder, but the not the mail man. Training has to be handled with care.

Many people get GSDs to be a guard dog, and in their training create an unpredictable, aggressive dog. If you want to get the most out of her training, I highly recommend a dog trainer with GSD experience.

In general, males are the more aggressive of the sexes, but every dog is different.
It varies with each dog. But my dog was very protective of me and my mother. No one could get in our yard with it. My dad worked nights and his fellow buddies was trying to scare us one night he bite one of them and the others was to scared to try and come in the yard. So if you train and watch her she will be the same way. I just played around with him and helped by say stay with mommy and protect her. Then my dad would tell him to stay and protect momma and me. He never would leave the porch and go out of the yard after he was told that.
Good Luck
Guard dogs should be handled by professional trainer ONLY.

Since you're asking such elemental questions, you are obviously NOT a professional trainer.

Rule of thumb, an aggressive dog will bite not only bad guys but your grandmother, your neighbor's child, the delivery man, AND YOU.

Why are you so doggoned paranoid - thinking that everyone is out to get you?

What you're asking for is a lawsuit and a lot of heartache.
Dogs are protective from age of about 5 mnths itself until its properly trained best thing is dont have it mingled with street dogs and too many people contact me for more details
My first dog was a belgian Tervueren. She had to be taught to bark and didn't start barking at people ringing the door bell until she was around 6-7 months (and it seemed more like fun to her than actually guarding). Her protection and guard instinct only fully kicked in when she was around two years old. They came automatically, she was never trained or encouraged in this direction. Pure instinct. I have been told that german shepherds mature faster than belgian sheperds, so you will probably notice it a bit earlier.

I've heard some people says that female dogs are more protective and aggressive than male dogs, but I have never observed any real difference myself with the belgian shepherds I've been in contact with. I don't know if it's different with german shepherds.

Remember with this type of dog you need to train the dog to trust your judgement and accept people you have given the thumbs up as friends. Also remember that the dog can't tell the difference between a burglar and your new neighbour.
my mom breeds german sheppard dogs and they are great watch dogs and their bark is out of this world . and she will become protective of you as she gets older . the male is definately more agressive and protective towards a female owner . and you will know when someone does not belong there where you live she or he will definately let you know . good luck and i hope I helped.
German Shepherds are naturally good gaurd dogs,your female will need more training than a male will,but she can be just as aggressive as a male,male dogs such as make shepherds make better gaurds.your female wil start showing some aggression and protectiveness by the time she is around 30 weeks or so.
There is no which sex is more protective or aggressive,if you have a "Alfa dominant" female she will be on top,a male Alfa same thing.When I answered your question regarding whether or not lots of loving will make her a sissy I told you about our 3 GSD's we have right now,2 males and a female.1 male is Alfa,the other is passive,but,the passive one when alone is just as loyal and protective as the other one,just alittle slower upon acting than the other one.My female is Alfa,and she IS the 4 legged ruler/boss/queen on the farm.Another big issue is confidence,if she is confedent in herself she will be all you need.I hope I've been of some help to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment