Monday, May 24, 2010

Are chiauhah dogs really a yappy and snappy breed?

i would really love to buy a honey coloured chiauhah dog, but my husband says he will never let me own one as they are nasty nipping little yappers of a dog... my cousin owns one and she is the most quiet docile chiahuah you would ever see. i want to know are chiauhah's really as bad as my husband says, or is it just a breed stereotype???
Answers:
No,only the poorly bred ones are yappy and snappy... Our Chihuahuas were calm and sweet natured, great with children, and never barked when they shouldn't..
We had 5 living indoors with a house full of kids..
My friend and her 3 year old child, and 6 month old baby are staying with me right now...They also brought their two Chihuahuas..I can't believe what those little dogs are putting up with! ..But they are just as sweet as can be..

Just be certain to meet the parents of the puppy you choose..The puppies will have similar attitudes/temperaments, as the parents.
they are yippy,yappy,snappy and mean. my uncle had one when I was a kid.
Chihuahuas are known to be very snappy aggressive breed. In general, I'm more afraid of one of those, than a Pitbull. There are occasional acceptions, but these are occasional.
no, they are just amazing funny lil creature
Yes they are. They are not designed for children and can get vicious if they're spoiled too much. A chihuahua is more likely to attack a human than a dog like the Golden Retriever or the Husky. If you want a small dog, get a Norfolk Terrier, they are such sweeties. Or, you can get a lab or a Golden. They are the best dogs.

Hope this helped!
Sunshine G. :o)

EDIT: for everyone that thumbed down my answer, I am just telling the truth. Two of my friends have been attacked by two different dogs... Guess what, they were both chihuahuas. I don't like the breed, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lie about it. Small dogs are mostly more hyper and aggressive but they can be sweet if they want something. I have met only ONE small dog that isn't spoiled and she's not small. She's a poodle!
Dogs like people...have personalities and temperments. It is common to get a wide array of temperments within one breed, and "chi's" are no exception. Some Chi's are as nasty as they come, some are well balanced pets, others are big time terrified of everything. Problem is not usually the dogs, it's the owners. They consider them their "human baby" instead of what they actually are...big dogs in small packages. They still need to be trained, and socialize, etc. The chi's you see that your husband describes are allowed to get away with murder.if a big dog did half of what they did it would be put in it's place imedietely.

If you raise a chi properly they can be just as every bit a great pet as any other dog.
i have 2, 1 is a teacup, i also have a 4 yr old son and neither of my dogs has ever bite or nipped at anyone, its all in the way u raise it. they do bark, but what dog doesnt. and i spoil my dogs a great deal and i also disclipline them and never have i ever had a problem. and i had the dogs b4 my son came and my dogs r gettin old and still no temperment.
No there are not if you teach them like you would ANY dog big or small.
It ALL depends. I have owned 3 chihuahuas now, one I owned for 12 years (he recently passed). The first one I had was very yappy, but only around strangers. Very nervous around non-family, and very aggressive. But he was my favorite dog ever. Chihuahuas usually end up preferring one, maybe two people in a family. They're very loyal.

On the other hand, I've had a new chihuahua pup (he's 8 mos now) since January and he is the complete opposite. So sweet and social. Everytime we go to the vet they always love him and say how sweet he is. I really think it all depends on their upbringing and how social they are when they're little puppies. He is very playful and hyper, but not yappy.

We just got a new puppy 3 days ago, and he's also such a sweetie. I think he's about 10 weeks old. Very social with everyone, not very yappy. But of course, we haven't had him long.

Chihuahuas can be very shy around strangers, but I think that if you show them alot of love in the beginning and throughout their lives, and bring different people and dogs around, they'll be more social.

I honestly think they are one of the best breeds out there, and I probably will never own a different breed of dog. I'm hooked! :)
It's all in what you let them get away with. There are really sweet pit-bulls, and very mean ones...there are annoying yippy chihuahua s, and really sweet calm ones. Your dog is like your kid, they will act in accordance with what they think is appropriate, so it's up to you as a "mom" to teach them what is appropriate. I will admit there seems to be a large percentage of these little guys that are yappy little dogs...my vet friends and I refer to them as "land-sharks!" I also have to admit that I have 2 clients with these guys that are the sweetest dogs ever.
You're husband is wrong, these are the best dogs in the world. They are, however, very territorial and tend to develop incredibly strong bonds with their owners, which is where the incessant barking and ferocious attitude comes in. The trick is to socialize them at an early age, so that they understand that strangers aren't a threat to their territory and, more importantly, you.
They are very smart and affectionate and make great apartment dogs. If you decide to get a chi puppy, just take it around people as much as possible while it's young and it will be very well behaved.
They can behave but sometimes they are yappy. But if you don't raise them right they will snap at you if you get in there face.
yappy-yes
snappy-probably
Yes, your husband is right about Chihuahua's. Chihuahua's can be aggressive, timid or shy if they are spoiled and not socialized and they are very yappy. They nip a lot, have very poor health and are terrible dogs for children (if you have or plan to have children).
I have one! and she is great. she is a little princess and she knows it. My mother has one too and i grew up with her. she is a good No GREAT dog, she loves everyone. My pup doesnt like many people but she loves me and my husband and our other dog, our german pointer, they are not mean nasty dogs!
Your husband is an ignorant bigot...my condolences.

ALL DOGS NEED ***TRAINING****!
They only do what their OWNERS ***ALLOW***!
that is definately a stereotype because I have two and they are well socialized and are nice to everyone . they only bark when they see a stranger or hear a strange noise . I love mine and would never part with them . If you got one as a puppy then your husband would see how they truly are if you properly socialize them. good luck .
A Chihuahua is very much a GREAT BIG dog in a TINY body.

That is - if you train her to be. And that is possible. She'll need the same training you'd give any dog - Take Precious to obedience class, train her not to bark, socialize her with other dogs/people/environments. This takes committment and work. Well worth it though.

So, Precious can be a wonderful dog - but if you treat her like a fashion accessory - then you'll have a yappy, snappy dog.
Not all of them are that way. You have to take them around people a lot. My dog Rusty thinks everyone is his friend. He has never been a yapper or has never nipped anyone. He is very loving.
It's spelt chihuahua and your husband is right on the money. They are yappy, nipping little rats. Why stir up trouble between you?

No comments:

Post a Comment