Monday, May 24, 2010

Are cesar millans techniques good?

I love cesar millan. His techniques are great. Not only for dog but for humans as well. I could be the first to tell you that I look at life totally different now. I live happier. peacefully with my dogs. I own a cocker spaniel, Yorky/maltese mix, and a red nose pitbull. All get along great. and I would have to thank cesar after I read his book and watched his shows. I had people telling me that my pitbull would not do well with other dogs but she's doing real well. You gotta socialize them at a young age and these dogs need guidence and a good leader. Remember they're animal, dog, breed, and then personality. Exercise, discipline, and then affection is the way to go for any dog.Stay calm and assertive.
Answers:
There are a few things he says that I don't necessarily agree with, or have found other things that work better for me.. But generally he has some great techniques for problem dogs.
ceasar's techniques are excellent!!!
For an intelligent person, Cesar Millan's techniques can definitely be helpful. However, if the techniques are applied incorrectly, serious problems can arise. Doing an alpha role on a breed of dog that has a reputation for dominance can cause major problems and aggression issues if it's not executed correctly. Also remember, his shows are taped. There is time to pause the film if something doesn't go correctly. Personally, I prefer live training.
Yes, his techniques are real good, and can be applied to your individual dog needs for sure! I encourage everyone to read his book, and watch his shows.
Yes, but you have to remember that Cesar Millan is a trained professional. Also his show is a bit deceiving. He spends wayyyyyyyyyyy more time working with the dogs than his show reveals. There have been many complaints made against his show due to pet owners claiming that some of his techniques simply do not work. And sometimes he works with very aggressive dogs that normally would have been euthanatized a long time ago.

Also complaints were made that Cesar Millan never returns to check to see if his training/techniques really work. Or if his training was simply a fast-food solution that evaporated as soon as he left.

P.S. I love his show
Personally I think he is a fruitcake. I agree with the other poster who said you have to remember there are time lapses in the taped shows and it is deceiving as heck to think this man is fully training a dog by looking at him for a minute.
I use body language to train my dogs also but it takes a little more then 1/2 show. LOL He also has been reported to abuse dogs... so to each his own. I don't think he is any kind of a super dog hero.
A lot of what he tells people is just common sense and if people would put a little research into dogs and their behavior they would be able to figure it out. He also uses some dangerous methods and the average person trying them on their dogs could get seriously hurt.
Did you know that his show The Dog Whisperer, Jackass and WWE are the only shows that have a disclaimer saying not to try this at home? That is because as I said the average person could get hurt trying his methods. If his methods should not be used by yourself in the real world how great can he be?? Besides they only show you what they want you to see (editing) but what about what you do not see.
Depends on what you're looking to do or need.

Remember, Cesar is not a dog "trainer". He says so himself. He's a dog psychologist that helps with problem dog issues.
I love him. He has helped me SO much with my first dog and adding a second dog recently made it so much easier with the information I learned from him.
YES THEY ARE!! do you know why?for the simple fact that people forget that all though we love our dogs, and i love my dogs as much as my kids people forget they are still 2nd class citizens and are ANIMALS and need to learn that you are the dominate male in your house not them so they have to be taught where their place is, and ceaser teaches people how to teach their dogs that.. My husband always taught that to our dogs and our late male shepherd who was 21 knew my husband was the dominate male of the pack..but people dont do that anymore..
If people read his book and watch all of his shows, they will understand more of where he is coming from. He does not recommend Alpha Rolls ! They are a last resort for dogs that want to kill other dogs. And they won't work unless the dog respects you. That's why the disclaimer. Pro help is needed with aggressive dogs.

I did learn some new techniques from him, I was able to get a 10yr. old Siberian(not my dog) that attacked ALL dogs on sight to accept my old Whippet and 2 Bostons using Cesar's ideas.walking them side by side and not going nose to nose right away. My Whippet used the "killer" Sibe as a pillow on a long car trip.

His ideas can make a good trainer better. It is a different idea to focus so much on the people and then on the dog. He's not perfect, but I wish more people would learn more of his ideas.

And sometimes he really is that fast ! The show's producer is in contact with some of us and says some dogs really do take only 15 minutes...of course the owners need to follow through. He does check back on some dogs. Thats why the show has so many owners with shocked looks on their faces. Some dogs do take longer of course.
Yes, Cesar recommends the "Alpha Roll" which he euphamistically referrs to as a "Dominance ritual" in his book, pg. 220.
He claims "alpha wolves" do this. Attend some lectures by wolf experts. Alpha wolves DON'T do this, this is false.

Alpha wolves don't always eat first, or lead the pack. That is silly nonsense.

For those of us who value true working relationships with our dogs, the only "dominance rituals" we use are feeding time.
Our dogs recognize us as boss because we provide the food, not the other way around.

We ask the dog to be polite and deferential, by sitting usually, while we place the food on the floor, before we release them to eat.

Cesar says on pg. 221: "...asking a dog to submit to me by lying on her side is a very natural thing to do...".

This is not natural. This is creating a dog that is shut down and frightened, not a dog that wants to be with you or work for you. Dogs do not just lie down for other dogs. That is some sort of nonsense he made up to sound wise. But it is gibberish.

Study some info on dog body language, Turid Rugaas' work on Calming Signals, or better yet, watch this:

THE LANGUAGE OF DOGS - UNDERSTANDING CANINE BODY LANGUAGE AND OTHER COMMUNICATION SIGNALS DVD SET by Sarah Kalnajs

Learn about real body language, then I guarantee, when you watch Cesar work a dog, you will be as disgusted as the greater part of the trained dog behavior and "dog psychology" community is.
No. Not if you want your dog to like or trust you again.
He is to dog training, as the National Enquirer is to real news.
He sounds good, but he makes up jargon and intimidates dogs. If you have studied dogs at all, it is easy to see the dogs he works with are scared to death of him. They are shut down and afraid of offering any behavior.

I had a client from Orange Country, CA. She was a vet and HATED to work on dogs that Cesar had worked with. They were the most likely to bite.

He isn't rehabilitating them. He is shutting them down. But if something every overcomes that shut down, the person on the other end of the dog is going to be bitten. Badly.

And some day it will be him, because he's an idiot. If you get bitten, you are doing it wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment