Monday, May 24, 2010

Are Boxers known to have lots of health issues?

I would LOVE to get a boxer. So would everyone else in my family. But they supposedly have alot of health issues, like more susceptible to cancer, and tumors at a younger age.
Answers:
Yes, Boxers are prone to a lot of health problems. The main health problems effecting the Boxer is cancer, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, aortic stenosis (partial obstruction of blood flow), Boxer Cardiomyopathy (heart disease), PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy can lead to blindness) and Bloat are just some of the health problems they are prone to. http://www.gopetsamerica.com/boxer/boxer... gives you a whole list of them! I sure hope that you still decide to adopt a Boxer. Despite their health problems, they make wonderful dogs.
Some major concerns are cardiomyopathy, sub-aortic stenosis, and hip dysplasia. Sometimes prone to epilepsy. From age eight on they are more likely to get tumors than other breeds. Tendency for allergies. Also heart problems. These dogs may drool and snore. May have excessive flatulence. Some white Boxers are prone to deafness.

www.dogbreedinfo.com
check out boxer club of america website.. read all you can,.. and buy a dog only from a reputable breeder and your chances of genetic health issues will be GREATLY GREATLY diminished
** tell your parents, temperament and health issues are genetic traits.. why would you risk getting a shelter dog and then end up paying 1000's of dollars in vet care.. your parents need to educate themselves
I desperately want a boxer too!

Actually, the main health problems associated with boxers are heart problems. They really are very common in this breed. This is why when I do get a boxer I'm going to get a full heart check up so I know what to expect!

I don't wish to be alarmist or silly over this, but I've known a couple of young boxers die very suddenly from heart problems - one was a 1 year old that the owners rushed to me in surgery one day. It had been out on a walk and just gone down, you can imagine the state the owners were in. I had to tell them it was likely the heart - they had no idea about this problem with boxers.

Well this problem NEARLY put me off my desire to get a boxer - but at the end of the day, if you buy from a really good breeder (one that does not breed from dogs with heart conditions) and are scrupulous about health checks I would still do it - and I'm going to one day.

I would like to get a boxer from a shelter, where I'd get all my animals - but for my first ever I'd want to get a young puppy so I knew what I was getting myself in to.

Chalice
Also common (in older boxers) are cancers of the bones and mammary glands (in unspayed females).
My roommate has a boxer and while I cannot comment on the long term helth issues his major problem is terrible gas. And I mean TERRIBLE. Probably once every 20 minutes he rips some awful farts. He also tends to throw up after drinking water and he drools and snores. They have a wonderful personality and are super loving and loyal. I don't think I would get one of my own though because of these issues. Great dogs though if you can put up with their quirks.
Boxers like many other breeds do have health issues. I got my Boxer !0 years ago, and shes still going strong. She does how ever have addisons desease.. (which is very rare, for any dog and not just prone to boxers) but my mother breeds boxers and while they seem to be very healthy, just like all dogs they do get sick, im not sure however that they are more likey to get cancer. they are prone to heart isues though. and my boxer has had an irregular heart beat for 3 years now, but she is not affected by it
and becdes the breed itself is just great. i think that the love that you will get from them will outway any possible health issues.


good luck=]
some boxers also get a skin disorder. but a good quality food with salmon oils in it should help.

No comments:

Post a Comment