Friday, May 21, 2010

Are all springer spaniels hyper or is it just mine?


Answers:
Every Springer Spaniel I've known has been extremely hyper. I would say yours is in the norm. They require a lot of exercise or attention.
All hyper.... it is the nature of the breed. Whilst lovely dogs a great deal of thought should be given before getting one.

They require plenty of exercise and discipline.
They are all hyper - they need a lot of excercise -
yes thats why thay got that name lol
No to cool down springer spaniels . soak in warm water . dry off then prop up your feet .
Feed it a raw food diet it will be much calmer

www.eurobichons.com

if in uk use www.prizechoice.co.uk

if in USA
www.bravofoods.com
They are all hyper, mine was absolutly barking, but sooooo cute
LOL

no, they`re all like that.!

but a lot of fun though.!
I have a springer and he definately calmed down a bit after 2 years old - however I do think that it is down to the dogs personality - Springers are known for being a bit dippy.

good luck
My friend has one, and they take him on long walks or to the beach whenever they can to tire him out, but yes, I think they are all hyper!
these dogs are all hyper, castration wont make any difference , give your dog loads of exercise , chasing a ball for example and lots of long walks and you will see an immediate difference, its works everytime i promise
There are two types of ESS's the Field and Bench. The field (hunting) are usually the hyper ones. The bench (show dog) are a bit more calmer not much though. My ESS is a field, which is what I wanted, I am active so I need a active dog. Sometimes Nocioni is TOO active for me so I do two things to calm him down. 1) Treadmill, I have taught him how to walk on the treadmill and after a good 30 minutes on it he settles down. 2) I also use Chamomile tea in his food to relax him (don't worry it will not harm him) By the way I also have a second dog and that takes the strain off me trying to keep him exercised. Check out my 360 I have a picture of my two boys. Walking your dog DOES indeed tires him out, anybody who says walking doesn't help is incorrect. Walking your dog for 45 minutes tires him out and also creates a bond. Walk your dog. Good luck!
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/gonzagirl/sli... pics of my springer.
I am home all day with my springer and have started taking her to obedience classes, and I have a westie she plays with, so this maybe why she is not more hyper then any other puppy. She is happy resting at home or running in the fields. I do take her out for exercise for a total of 1 hour off leash excersice on the grass every other day sometimes everyday. We do not pound the pavement much yet because she is only 4 months, and a puppy should only have 5 min of walking on pavement per month of age or they can develop joint problems later in life, but I'm sure you know this already. This may or may not explain the diffrences in hyperactivity levels. Also, does it show on her pedigree, if she has badgercourt or rytex strain? Is she field or bench? You can email me at gonzagirl@yahoo.com if you would like to chat about our springers. Also, I do not know what that guy meant by dippy, but if that means stupid then he is way off base. Springers are very smart. Also, I feed a mix of raw diet and kibble, so maybe that does make a difference. Also, I heard prize choice does not provide much flesh on their bones, and the mince or ground beef was watery,but I heard great things about landywoods which is in the UK, too.
Springer spaniels were bred as hunting dogs to run all day long so they are VERY active. Neutering him will help as will him getting enough exercise. A well run dog park is best, a play date with a same sized/aged dog is good and lots of off leash exercise fetching is good. Walking does little for any dog, even my MinPins can leash walk for hours w/o getting tired. If you can afford it a doggy daycare will help burn off some energy. Obed. training is a must for me for any sized dog, I could not live with an untrained dog. If you don't have kids a neighbor's kid might be interested in helping exercise him. Just be sure the kid is strong enough to handle the dog. Once he is older(the pup) he can go jogging or run next to a bike. agility training is good for burning off energy, you could go to a class and build some stuff for your backyard. Swimming is great for dogs too, esp ones with hip dysplasia.
No they're all like it! They are bred to be working dogs so I hope you give him a lot of exercise that he needs as he gets older!
He probably won't calm down until he's elderly!
For now, act calm yourself, don't act in a way to windd him up. And go to both puppy classes and agility for fun, if you can find them. He needs the work, not just a walk.
all springers are hyper it is normal for that breed.
They need loads of exercise %26 something for them to keep there mind on a goal if you like they dont like to be bored %26 dont like to sit in the house all day
They are all known for being hyper and over the top!


Taking him to classes will help but have you thought about agility or flyball as well - use up some of that energy and have fun!!
They never calm down,ours is nearly12 and he's still full of life,even though his joints are a bit stiff.They need plenty of exercise and attention but are wonderful dogs.
Springers are known for being very hyper,esp if they don't have the recomended exercise.An adult springer should be walked at least twice a day for an hour or two's free running exercise.They should also be kept mentally challegened with interactive toys such as kongs or buster cubes.A dog walking friend i know has a 6yr old springer who is still extremely hyperactive and he has a very strong prey drive.
all springer spaniels are hyper. idont know why

No comments:

Post a Comment