Wednesday, July 29, 2009

American Bulldogs, and Boxers?

Those two breeds are dogs that REALLY appeal to me. Do they tend to be good with people, and get along with small animals? I have heard that they can do fine in an apartment, in case I move into one as long as I get it some exercise. And I want one of them REALLY bad, but my Mom won't even consider a dog unless we can almost certainly train it to be good with our rabbit. Any personal experience?
Answers:
you keep asking us basically the same question. you CANNOT AFFORD a bulldog,, remember, you told us your dad won't get a dog from a breeder... bulldogs have health issues and you would not want just any . a reputable breeder with healthy dogs/health contracts etc. would be your best bet $2000.
boxers are more friendly then bulldogs the dogs that are on the news that harm kids are bulldogs.
I know that some ABs are very nice. I know a female one who loves people, but is shy around ones she doesn't know too well. I"m sure they would be great with smaller animals, I don't think they have that type of prey drive as I don't think they used to hunt small animals or chase them.
i have a friend that has trained there boxer into a show dog. although he is very aware of strangers and very defensive he is affectionate at the same time

i also have a friend that has a bulldog and i dogsat her. she was very calm and loveable
they are both good watchdogs
boxers
boxers
Uhh.
Boxers are very active dogs.
Being a larger breed they are not able to get the energy all out indoors so you have to take into consideration if you have time to walk the pup each day. In addition the Boxer needs mental stimulation through training and learning new things.
And i suggest you keep the bunny away from the boxer.
But it all depends on the pups attitude and if he/she is raised to know the bunny.
Since your parents are in the picture it would be in their / your best interest to get a boxer. They are usually easy to train as long as you present yourself as Alpha in the beginning. As far as the rabbit thing I'm not sure. I know if they are raised (baby)with a cat they are fine but rabbits??
Just as a precaution. many rent/home insurance agencies will not cover you if their are certain breeds of dog living on the premises. Including but not limited to: Pit bulls, boxers, bulldogs, german shepards, rottweilers... etc... because of their aggressive nature.
I have an American Bulldog and I currently live in a condo, but he gets exercised three times a day. I take him out in the morning, the dog walker and his roommate (my brother) takes him out in the middle of the day, and I take him out at night. My American Bulldog is very good with people, but I would caution you about other dogs and small animals. You would definitely have to train and supervise him constantly with a small animal such as a rabbit. It is probably best if the dog has been raised with the small animals or other dogs since they were a puppy so they understand that its not appropriate to take fluffy in his mouth and shake him vigorously.
I don't really know much about Boxers, though I hear they are excellent family dogs that will also protect their family and home if need be. I do however, know a little about American Bulldogs. I own one that is about 15 months old and I just love him. When he was really small (we got him when he was 9 weeks old) he was really active and needed to play every day to keep him out of mischief. Not saying he didn't still find some, but he was definately less destructive when we kept him occupied! Now that he's older, he still is very much a puppy . American bulldogs will get along with any type of animal IF you expose them while they are young. Even with that though, once the dog matures you should keep him/her separate from any small animals. A boredom streak could end up with puppy shaking the rabbit to play and accidentally hurting or killing it. Our vet told us the key to having a well adjusted American bulldog is socialize, socialize, socialize. If you want the dog to like other animals, he/she must be exposed to it early and often. They do love people, especially children. Watch them carefully as they start to put on the pounds though, they can and will accidentally knock small children over while playing. For this reason, also train them NOT to jump up on people. They could seriously hurt someone once they really start putting on the pounds. They just don't realize how big and strong they are. They are also great dogs in that they don't make pointless noise. My dog rarely barks. The vet said that they don't make noise unless there is a good reason. I have found that to be true. They are suspicious of people they don't know and you will know if they don't like someone because they won't look up at them or come close--at least, that's what mine does. As far as excercise--as long as you walk them between one and three times a week you should be fine. He/she will adapt to your habits and schedule. You have to be firm with them though, they do have a stubborn streak so you must be dominant. If you strike them--be prepared for the dog not to want anything to do with you for a while. They may start to trust you again, but it will be a hard process.

Enjoy!
any dog could be fine with a rabbit...any dogs is goning to have a prey drive.and they are both good family type dogs borth need LOTS of exersize.and something to do when u are not going to be home. but training is needed.with a dog from the shelter or one from a breeder...look in to reasuces and see what they have.

ohhhh and MANY bully breeds are mistaken for a pit. when its and AB or some other bull breed. so i'm sure AB are on the streets as well.and ppl are calling them 'vicious PITS' which.
I had a boxer when I was little he was the best dog ever. He was easily housebroke and he always listened. I also had hamsters when we had him and he didnt even pay attention to it and I always had it out of cage.
I really and truly love and like my two Boxers I breed them (not that it matters) but we enjoy them they are good with kids and are easy to train.
They are really smart dogs and they are really cute!!!
They look sorta like Pit bulls but just a littel different in the face the thing is they will not act, hurt or turn on you like the Pitbulls will.
Bulldogs are fantastic! I'm biased, I have one. They are very quiet when inside, but do need a lot of exercise. A good dog is a well exercised dog. American Bulldog puppies can be a lot to handle. They are rambunctious and can get into trouble if they are bored and hyper. Make sure you have enough time to put towards owning a large working breed. As for your bunny. ABs are farm dogs and should respect all the animals on the farm (your house) They wouldn't be good farm dogs if they were killing the live stock. Teach your dog to leave the rabbit alone from day one. My girl won't even chase them if we're out on a trail. ABs are excellent family dogs, very loyal, very affectionate, %26 really gentle with children.
Sorry, I can't say much about Boxers. I do think they are amazing beautiful dogs and I've never meant one that I haven't liked.
Good Luck with your decision!
You can check out myspace to see my dogs and others like her. Might give you a better idea of whats out there.
Legs, muscle, fur and energy! That is everything my boxer is made of and he couldn't be anymore perfect! I love him! *kisses to Debo*

No comments:

Post a Comment