Friday, July 31, 2009

Anybody *know* what "WORKING TERRIER" means?

Anybody have ANY experience w/em?
What breed/breeds?
On what quarry?


YES!!! *I* DO!!
Why ask?

Cuz I'm sick to death of the thousands of"what should I name my wittle doggie-woggie %26 where can I get a PROM DRESS %26 a night-gown for it?" type of question posted here.
Interested to see if there are *any* grown-up DOG-PEOPLE here.
Answers:
Had a working Russell of the farmdog "vermin combat type" - cleaned us outta groundhogs. Lousy type but the correct russel gameness. She spent 12 hr a day team hunting rats %26 mice with my whippet (Russell flushed them to the whippet who gave chase). both were fierce hunters not little woggies.
My sister in law had a russell of oiutstanding type and if that usless dog ever saw a rat she would probably still be running..

PS gots a few whippet field champs in my house now ... for some reason the squirrells go AROUND my yard
LOL yes I know what Working Terrier means. I used to Open Field course my dogs on jack rabbits. Borzoi and Whippets.

Haven't been to any Terrier Go To Ground or other Trials, did get to see some JRTs run their version of a Lure Course.

I am amazed at the laziness of most people who won't Google to find their own answer or pick up the phone and call their vet...esp. in some of the emergency situations some people are writing about.

I currently compete with 2 young Whippet females. (can't say b*tch on here)

We do: Obedience, Lure Coursing, Straight Racing, Conformations shows, and may try Fly Ball or Agility when they are over 14mo. They may get to work some jacks later when they are older as well.
All purebred dogs were developed with a specific purpose in mind. Terriers were bred to hunt and kill vermin. A working terrier is more than a pet. A working dog of any breed actually performs the job that he was bred for.

Sad to say that few dogs (relative to all dogs) are working dogs nowadays. The reason for this is that many breeders breed for conformation (thereby ignoring the breed purpose), and some modern technologies have replaced the working dog (ex: snowmobiles replacing sled dogs). Today, most people hunt with their dogs for sport, not because they're trying to feed themselves.
The good news is that all breeds were bred for a specific job for hundreds of years, and it's only fairly recent that folks started leaning toward dogs as mere pets. For the most part, the instincts are still there, and folks who need to have a working dog can easily find them.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting question. A working terrier does what it is for, work. Not walking round a show ring etc. It has a job and it still does it. I keep rare breed poultry and control any pests with our terriers. Different dogs do different jobs. Fox, mink and rats. Glen terriers, jack russells and fells. Dogs are pets too of course but to have real dogs who can do their jobs well is a great joy and privelege.

    ReplyDelete