Friday, July 31, 2009

Any RAW feeders who include lamb and sardines in the diet willing to share a typical weeks menu?

Please specify if you are feeding an adult dog or a puppy. I am intrested in both.
Answers:
I don't include lamb or sardines, but I'll share my dog's diet plan. She's a 5 month old Corgi puppy, so she eats about 8-10% of her body weight. An adult dog should eat 2-3%. 80% of the food should be meat, 10 percent should be organs, and 10 percent should be bone. Half of the 10 percent of the organs should be liver.

Monday: plain yogurt; pig鈥檚 foot; 陆 lb. beef brisket

*Tuesday: raw egg(+shell); 陆 lb. beef ribs

Wednesday: plain yogurt; 陆 lb. cornish game hen; pig鈥檚 tail

Thursday: plain yogurt; 陆 lb. cornish game hen; 1 oz. organs

*Friday: raw egg(+shell); 陆 lb. pork ribs

Saturday: plain yogurt; whole fish; cow鈥檚 foot

Sunday: plain yogurt; 陆 chicken thigh/drumstick; 5 oz. organs


*One 1000mg fish oil capsule


You can always switch around the meat that you use. Things like pig's tail and cow's feet are recreation bones, which means they don't contain much meat, but are fun for the dogs to chew on. If your dog is an excessive chewer, I don't recommend these as they can "wreck" teeth because they are so hard and dense. Chicken thighs and drumsticks are a great way to start raw feeding because their bones are hollow and easy to break.

Good luck! Feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions.
I have a 14 month old German shepherd. Sardenes make a GREAT dog treat. I dont use them in his food, but I use them instead of storebought dogtreats. HE LOVES THEM.
I know its not the answer you are looking for, but hopefuly a litle help, since it is very hard to find a good dogtreat if you dont feed them cooked crap in a box
My sample menu is available on my web site. eastwooddanes.com
We do not feed a lot of lamb because honeslty it is a little to pricey for 6 Great Danes. I do feed sardines here and there but not a lot.
I feed a raw diet and have done for 13 years. Over those years, my diet has changed slightly. I feed 60% Rmb's in the form of minced chicken wings %26lt;their main meal>; 10% tripe, 10% offal and 20% other meats as their other meal. I balance the diet over the week, and twice a week I use tinned sardines as part of their offal. The offal I used to use was liver, heart and kidney twice per week (I know some people consider heart to be a muscle meat, but I use chicken hearts, which my dogs can't take in large amounts) but I have substituted tinned sardines (in sunflower oil) for the kidney, because I was finding it hard to get hold of kidney (for some peculiar reason). The dogs are doing great on it. When I can get kidney, they get it, but it's only occasionaly now. I use lamb at the weekend instead of chicken wings as the Rmb, because it's easier, and less messy, as we're at dogs shows nearly every weekend.

This diet was used to raise my dogs from pups, and as adults. The adults get approx 3% of their weight of food per day for their nutritional needs (depending on their age and their work and their metabolism). With pups I use the guide of:- up to 5 mths, they need (per their weight) approx 3% of their weight as their daily feed x 2 for their nutrional needs. 5 - 7mths x 1 1/2. 7 - 9mths x 1 1/4. I used to weigh my pups all the time, but with the latest pup (now one year old) I just used my eye as a guide. If you need more detail, please mail me on the addy which is in my profile.

All the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment