Thursday, July 30, 2009

Any adivce on getting a strong, scared dog to let me cut his nails?

We are going to see if the vet will let us give him a sedative so we can take him to the groomers. He is shredding everything with his long nails. We've tried to hold him down but he is really strong and wirey. Plus, we don't want to hurt him :(.
Answers:
I was going to suggest letting the vet or groomer do it. One thing you can do, is handle, gently massage his feet whenever possible to get him accustomed to having them touched. Just when you are sitting around watching TV, whatever.
The vet will do it for you. Safest too, because they will be there if there are any issues. Sometimes the groomers have tricks you don't though, and that might be okay without sedatives.
You tell that big baby that you are a PROFESSIONAL. Plus, add that you love 'em. He'll see the light. Might even let you put a tint on those freshly cut nails.
if you walk your dog enough you won't need to trim his nails.
A good groomer should be able to cut your dogs nails without a sedative. It may take 2 people (1 to calm the dog and keep his head away from the working groomer), but in all my years of grooming, there was never a dog who's nails we could not cut. It just takes someone with know-how and experience, ... so let it up to the groomer to do. You can probably help by comforting your dog and distracting him with a treat or something while it's being done.
drug him... = )
We have the same problem. We ended up paying a professional groomer and believe me it was well worth the cost.
Gosh, vets have the deadliest things, did you ever think about the sedative? Just tie 'em up, put on a muzzle, and "clip!" the manicure was a sucess! one clip off the nails will do, then you give him lots of love and treats.
Or, you can go waste billions of dollars for one nail being trimmed by "professinals".
My dog used to have this problem, but he is not as big as your dog probably. Mine is about the size of a basset hound (although he is a beagle/german shepard)
He used to nip a little when you would try to touch his nails, so what I did was when he was resting, or calmed down, just start petting him and then work my way slowly down to his paws and then pet him, then touch each nail, slowly, and reward him if he didn't nip. This gets them used to their nails being touched.
As for ur vet giving u a sedative, that is illegal in some states, not sure where u are.
I am not sure if this is helpful ;-%26lt;
Good luck with ur Dog!
You need to gain his trust first. Look into the dog whisper. You can probably find how to approach gaining his trust if you research the dog whisper
My dog is husky/akita mix and very strong so what I do is wait until he is asleep and very quietly and carefully do one paw at a time. If he starts to wake, I just rub his nose until he drifts back off that seems to be very effective. I worked as a vet tech for years and that is how I tried to do it as a "pro" because I did not like the idea of a muzzle or sedation I felt that scared them more, I do not know it is just my opinion.
We just let our dog play catch on the concrete. Her nails just wear down.

No comments:

Post a Comment