Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ants in my dog's food! How do I prevent this?

I live in Florida where ants are always a problem. I just went into my covered dog container to find ants! Other than bombing the house, which we do a couple times a year, do you have any solutions to keeping the ants out of the food? The container I have locks tight, but those darn ants keep getting in. I keep the container on a ceramic tile floor in my laundry room. Thanks!
Answers:
try placing a bug killer (Non toxic) to dogs called seven around and under the food container. you can get it at your local hardware store.
You might hve to toss out the food and try double checking that the container is being closed properly when you dip into it.

Also, go to the store and get ant spray and spray the heck out of the base of your door and walls outside. I ahd this problem with ants in my ferret food and all i had to do was get a better airtight jar and spray the livin' heck out of my doorway and outside concrete
put the food dish inside another bigger dish that is full of water. ants won't swim. try not to use pesticides too close to the food, it can make your dog sick. boric acid powder may also help.
you can lift it up, which helps a bit.is it inside?
ok i live in florida to i hate the ants here but lets get back to the subject you may need to put the container of food in a different room. My cat food is on the tile floor in my laundry room and i never get ants i would put terro in the bathrooms and kitchen or other various room it kills ants but is very harmful to any living organism like dogs or children so be careful hope you find a solution!
Ant baits...they work really well. Put them in places like under the fridge, under the stove places like that. I use them once every spring, thats when they usually show up, and after a few days they are gone! There is 4 to a pack and they do the job.
Try a container that is air tight, this is very similar to the one I use. This way it is also off the ground

http://astore.amazon.com/lostdoghq-20/de...

GOOD LUCK
to get rid of ants from infesting your dog food, prepare a basin or sort of container and put water in it. Then place the container which contains your dog food in the basin filled with water. That will keep the ants away from your dog food. Or, you can use a certain type of chalk. All you have to do is just draw a circle on the floor surrounding your container and the ants can't surely pass through it. I really don't know the name of that certain chalk. Maybe you can check it on stores nearby if it is available.
Can you store the food in the freezer? In Okinawa we had ant %26 gecko problems with the dog food %26 we started putting it in the freezer. When we fed her, it was just what she'd eat at one time %26 the rest went back into the fridge.
First off, have the bug guys come out and spray. Put the dog food into a tupperware container and only put out enough dog food for what the dog is going to eat then and there. If there's any left over put it back in the tupperware. Put the tupperware up somewhere high, in a pantry or something. Vaccuming the area where your dog eats every couple of days might also help keep the ants away.
They actually make ant proof dog dishes. But you can just put the dishes in a like casserole pan filled with water. They say the ants cant cross the water. So just do the dishes in some kind of container than has water in it. Maybe like a cake pan or cookie sheet thats deeper. As for the inside food I keep mine in the freezer. I put it in smaller ziplock bags and just get it out when its needed. It also keeps it fresh by doing that. I buy a 40 pound bag, save lots of money and just break it down and freeze it. It works out great. Try them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment