Thursday, July 30, 2009

ANY BOXER OWNERS: Right for me?

Hey! My husband and I are looking into buying a Boxer puppy. (12 weeks old) The only problem is, I'm a bit scared because of their reputation of being "killers" you know? I have a 2 year old girl and I don't want the dog hurting her. But I was doing some research on the breed and everything I read said they were a very sweet, loving devoted family pet... So whats your opinion/experience?? Call me "paranoid", but I'd feel more comfortable reading it from an actual owner with this experience!! THANX!
Answers:
I have 3 boxers and 2 kids under 5. Boxers are the best family dog I have ever seen. My 4 yr old son can do whatever he wants to my dogs and they will just lay there , if they have had enough they simply walk away. Whoever told you they were killers was a idiot. Some people get them confused with Pitt bulls because they have similar coats and colors but they are 2 very different dogs. They are great watch dogs but they know the difference between a neighborhood child and a intruder. Of course you must know the temperament of the parents of the puppy because there are bad breeders out there but most of the time boxers are awesome.
As with all breeds of dogs as long as they are raised to be loving pets the bree doesnt matter. I have had boxers pits and rotts and loved everyone of them. I have small children ages 7,5, and 4 and even though I have a collie now I would have trusted any of my other dogs with them. The sad part about these dogs is the stereotypes they have recieved because of poor owners. These breeds are unfortunately raised sometimes to be aggresive but they are fully capable of being sweet and loving .
HI i have a boxer and they are great with kids try to get a fawn color very smart obedient loyal friendly.
My daughter has two brindle Boxers with a daughter in tow, they are still only a couple years old themselves ( one is just 3 and other 2 ) and so far so good, dopey yes, stupid at times,yes but they are really good around kids.
I truly believe that a dog is as good as the owner,treat with kindness and a loving hand and they will be the faithful,loving friend for life...
they are big dogs and need a lot of exercising ,so are you ready for that? but as for getting one..why not.
just spoke to my daughter to find if she could add to this and she says what i said sounds right, I trust my daughter to put her child first and dogs second..so know she wouldn't have them if she felt they were unsafe.
Ha Ha! I boxer being a killer! Thats funny! We breed boxers and they are the most loving and kind pet you could ever have! They are also quite lazy! My boxer Toby is best friwndswith my Iguana Oliver! You havnt lived until you've owned a boxer! XxXxXx
Here is everything you need to know about a boxer

http://dogs-world.net/boxer.php...
The only time a dog is "mean" is when it has had a bad experince or mean handler.

Just to be on the safe side (because i've heard dome dogs don't let other's near them, or the people are scared), get your dog to know as many people as possible. I doubt this will happen to you, but others might be scared of these dogs!

If your still not sure what type of dog/if this dog is right or not, visit this site and take the quiz. Or you can read about the Boxer (although im sure you have!) The quiz will match you with good dog choises.

http://animal.discovery.com/breedselecto...


I think a Boxer would be a great choise, and they are very loving and wanting to please! Good luck with him.her
I'm sorry but I'm laughing hysterically about the 'killer' part. WHO told you that?!

protective? yes, they can be...and probably the best dang protectors for that 2 yr old you'll ever have! Boxers are the sweetest, goofiest dogs on earth! they remind me of circus clowns...big sappy eyes, and just funny as all heck!

of course if you want to make sure that your dog and your child get along well you have to be responsible, and take your dog to obedience classes, AND teach your daughter proper dog ownership etiquette.
it's not just the dog that must be well behaved, it's the child as well.
MOST dog bites are due to unsupervised children, that are rough w/the dog. the poor dog, who in being frighted defends it's self, and then gets the bad rap.

i highly doubt you'll regret having a boxer..they are darling! although i would recommend a boxer rescue to a pup.
a pup needs training (potty and otherwise), etc. while a rescue boxer has already been fixed, shots, potty trained, socialized and in some cases had obedience training...they are also already personality tested so you will know that the dog you get will be just peachy w/a little one.

never hurts to check it out. there will always be puppies but there are SO many wonderful adult dogs that need loving homes.
I own two boxers and have never ever heard of their reputation of being "killers" !! Boxers adore kids; esp if they have been brought up with them from an early age. Boxers are clowns; first and foremost but they need good training and an owner with a sense of humour and a big heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment