Friday, July 31, 2009

Any suggestions to keep my dog from eating poo out of litter box?

I've already got a cover for the box! I have the box in my bathroom! The dog's been scolded for eating the poo more than anything else! She just loves poo sooo much I guess she thinks it's worth getting in trouble for! I would let her just do it! But it makes a mess and I'm not sure if eating the litter will harm her! SERIOUS ANSWERS ONLY! Can I put anything in there that won't harm my cat!??
Help she's got poo breath bad!
Answers:
Here's a suggestion. Turn the covered litter box entrance towards the wall and leave a space just for the cat to get in. The dog won't have access anymore and will stop it.

That's what I did and it worked. Good luck.
Put threlittter box where the dog cant reach it - on a table etc - easiest solution
Check with your vet. Mine did the same thing and we found out it was a Iron deficiency. A vitamin a day and he stopped
She won't be harmed. When I had a cat, my dog would do that too, and I was told it was becauase cats don't digest their food all the way and so apparently it tastes like food to dogs. Gross, but true.

If you're worried about the litter, though, maybe get something natural instead of the Fresh Step type.
I am on several dog forums and the only thing most of them can think of is to put the litter box high enough the dog can't reach it. Like on the washer or dryer or even a shelf. Several of them have tried putting hot sauce on the poo and that doesn't stop the tootsie roll eaters either.
I agree with T.M.

Unless there's a health condition preventing your cat from being able to jump onto a table, then place the litter box above ground level, to prevent the dog from having access.
Put the litter box behind a baby gate that the cat can go over or through but the dog can't.
If your dog is large, try putting the litter box inside a lower cupboard with a cat door, or under a bigger box with cat-sized access. Sort of a box within a box.
If your dog is small, try a baby gate across the bathroom door; cat will be able to jump it but the dog won't. Two baby gates one above the other might work for a large dog but you might have trouble getting to the bathroom yourself if you were in a hurry! ;)
I put our littler box in the giant bath tub we never use. I asked the vet and putting the litter box out of reach of the dogs is the only solution.
The best solution..spray water at his nose when he even goes by the box with a water bottle. He'll hate the sensation of the water and he'll stay away. The only annoying thing for you.you have to stand vigilant by the box until he stops. ******PLEASE******* Do NOT use a mouse trap in the box like captianjacks suggests! This will only backfire and hurt your cat or dog.
Tell Kevvy to get up off the couch and clean the litter box before your pooch goes bobbing for sausages in the kitty box. Then you'll kill two stones with one bird...keep the poo breath away from your pooch and find out if Kevvy will be a good boy for you when he is a milque toast husband getting ***** whipped in the 'burbs.
I would keep the box as clean as possible, like sift the poop out as often as possible. I had a dog that just liked the taste. If you raise it off the floor make sure your cat will get up there and use it.
Well, one thing that worked for me was spraying it with a product called "Bitter Apple". That stopped my pup from snacking in the litter box.

My older dog was more persistant so I had to go to a more drastic approach. For this, you do need to monitor the litter box since you need to 'catch' your dog in the act. When she has her head in the litter box, toss an aluminum can that is filled with pebbles or pennies right behind her. The sound usually is enough to startle them, they don't know who threw it and if they begin to stick their head in, you simply shake the can and it will make them jump away.

If that doesn't work, another thing I've done is to put a mouse trap in the box. Cover it with a paper towel. You must watch this one for when you leave you need to remove the mouse trap. The trap snaps, scares the dog and gets them out. I don't suggest this one unless the other 2 don't work and DO keep a close eye on this one to make sure the kitties don't try to use the box while you're trying to 'catch the dog in the act'.
my dog did the same thing. my cat box is in our laundry room so i bought a gate and left enough room under it so the cat could get through and it stoped my dog from going in there.
I don't know the size of your dog, if she's small this won't work but if she's 20 pounds or over it should. Some dogs love kitty rocca. What I have done where the litter box is I have a hook lock on it latch it so it's big enough for the cat to come in and not the dog. It works like a charm.
Good luck;^)
About the only thing that worked for us was putting up a gate like parents use to keep a baby from leaving the room. Collies and German Sheperds seem to really love cat poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment