Thursday, July 30, 2009

Any advice on supplements to add to my raw dog food?

I have been feeding my dogs a raw diet for a couple of years. I give them a fish oil capsule daily but am wondering if I should be adding something else. Does anyone have any recipes to share? Thanks.
Answers:
This is the exact recipe I have used for years but I do not add grapes:

http://www.homestead.com/vonhapsburg/bar...

It has always worked well with my dogs!
id visit a vet nutritionist/dietician to see exactly what your dog needs for its breed, health, age etc... raw diets are great if you know what you are doing...get to someone who can give you the correct information, you will not find it on here!
Most vets recommend against this diet. Talk to your vet. Your dog is a dog, not a wolf.
You don't say what you are feeding as a raw diet. That would determine what supplements they might need.
If mine aren't getting a lot of bone for a periold of time, I make sure they get crushed egg shell. My girl also likes a little Kefir now and then.
I started making my own dog food for our 3 chihuahuas, after the pet food scare started. I have talked to a few elderly vets about dog food. The consensus I got was to feed them table scraps like thier ancestors were given for hundreds of years. I do make a recipe for when the scraps are not enough or in addition to them. How would you like to get fed the same gruel day after day? Personally, I feel that vets reccomending against table scraps were brainwashed at vet school by dog food companies who want to sell thier products to people who want the best for thier pets. Meanwhile, the pet food companies go out and buy junk ingredients and pawn this stuff as quality food. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!

Chicken - Turkey dog food
1 lb. ground chicken
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup of apple cider
1/2 cup grated cheese
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup cottage cheese
2 eggs w/ shells (shells crushed finely)
1 cup bread crumbs
Mix all ingredients together, scoop out 1/4 cup meatballs on cookie sheet, bake at 350 for 20 min. makes about 2 dozen meat balls. Our chihuahuas eat one to two daily, depending on what table scraps they get. I freeze the rest and take a few out for the next day and thaw in fridge.

1 comment:

  1. Join this group (see below), they have great members that feed different sorts of foods. They can give you good advice on what to add to your raw food diet. Congrats to you for feeding raw. Dogs and wolfs has the same digestive system and it is designed for raw natural foods. This has not changed.

    http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9Nutrition/

    Thomas
    (Fed raw for 10 years)

    ReplyDelete