Friday, July 31, 2009

Anybody else sickend by designer dogs?

Anybody alse want to murder all deisgner dog breeders? I'm getting so incredibly sick of see's all these dumb pointless mixes that are indeed NOT hypoallergenic or proven to have good temperments. And then again,who are all the dumb idiots that buy these dogs? Anybody else want to share their anger?
Answers:
Don't even get me started!!! I went to a pet store just to kill time one day (and apperently torture myself) and decided to play with a Pekingese/Bichon Frise "designer puppy". I would never ever buy from a pet shop, but my curiosity got the best of me so I asked how much -NO INTENTION TO BUY-...they wanted just short of $1000 for the dog and even had a financing option! A less than intelligent aquaintance of mine bought a "Cava-poo" (cavalier king charles spaniel/poodle) for $800+ and it had a bum leg...the pet shop then gave her 1/2 off, of course she hasn't shelled out the $2000 it would cost to actually fix the leg...just waiting to see if "it becomes a problem"- some animal lover! Anyway, people are stupid, any cross breed is a mutt, plain and simple. My mutt was found on the side of the road, so all I paid for her is food and vet costs, my purebred was from a pound and was $50- I got $40 back after showing proof of rabies vaccination. No matter what type of dog you want, I guarantee (unless you are trying to show AKC) a shelter or rescue organization has what you need.
what ever happened to the good old fashion mutt? remember when they were in the classifieds or an ad hanging in the grocery store that said something like this "free puppies mother a med sized dog" but i think the best one i saw was in the plain dealer this week the ad read "english bulldog (3/4) pug (1/4) $875 great look a like dog". whats that!!! im sorry but before i spend $1000 dollars on a mutt ill go to the pound. im sorry but it felt really good to write that.
I'm not sickened by the dogs, but I am by the ''breeders'' who intentionally mix breeds, and then charge an arm %26 leg for the offspring.

Don't get me wrong, I adore mixed breed dogs, but if I wanted one, I'd go to the local shelter/rescue %26 save a life (and money!).
what exactly are designer dogs? :S
I disagree when they are sold at ridiculous prices, when there are so many dogs in rescue places that need a home and these dogs that are basically mutts are being sold for a huge profit cos they got a cute name!
However all dogs come from crosses originally and after alot of breeding they start showing certain characteristics that are individual to the breed so some of these dogs may have exceptionally good temperaments through the nature of the breed.
And besides some of em are cute!! labradoodles and puggles particularly! however so are most mutts!
you're beating a dead horse here. people intent on buying a whateverpoo are going to do it, regardless of how many posts there are about the ignorance of breeding x-breeds.
I think you need to worry about something else. You may not approve, but you are not the puppy police!
I hear ya! Get a mutt. You will be just as (or even more) happy. A dog can only be what you make of it. Love it and teach it and you and the dog couldn't be more happy. You will probably have a few dollars to spare in the end.
I'm not sickened by mixing breeds if it is for the right reasons (i am sickened by the title "designer breeds"). All dogs, regardless of their purebred/non-purebred status, are derived from crossing different breeds. The problem we have today is that the breeders of "designer breeds" are money-hungry. They don't think of improving on a breed before putting a pug and a pekingese together--this is an accident that ends up making them money, and becomes a headache for the new puppy owners who have to deal with the numerous eye problems. I know that some of the breeds are pointless, because they are accidents. But the fact of the matter is, people buy them. Why should it matter how much they spend on a dog, or what title they are giving them? They are still being bred and still being bought.
It is a mixed breed dog until the lines are established to make them purebred, but essentially, it will always be a mix-breed (guess what? Your dog is mix breed too!). All dogs were mixed, and still are to get a better standard. Unfortunately, there are some people that are more concerned with what the dog looks like instead of concerning themselves with the health of the dog. I'm not angry at the people that buy them. That's just one less mutt in a shelter--although with some of the crosses that are being sold, I'd rather get a dog from a shelter. And anyone that is interested in buying one of these so-called designer breeds should really research both breeds before even considering the dog. But even still, because a standard genetic line has not been formulated with most, you never know what you are going to get. At least the dog is lucky enough to have someone that is willing to give them a home.
while i am mad at people who breed these puppy's i have a hard time not feeling bad, because if i could find another dog like the cross bred lab greyhound that was my best buddy for 10 years i would probably take every puppy that was bred. dog's are not accessory i know, but man was he a good dog, the best of both breeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment