Thursday, July 30, 2009

Any letter carriers out there?

I would like to know why our letter carrier maced my 12 year old blind chihuahua. I have a totally fenced yard with the mail box on the OUTSIDE of the fence. She is rarely outside when he delivers, but was yesterday. I'm sure he was startled by the fact that she ran headlong into the fence while barking because he doesn't know she is blind. Still, there IS a fence there. Why would someone mace her when she stood no chance of getting at them?? It's a 6 pound dog, not a rattlesnake, for heaven's sake!
I have called the post office and we're now playing "he said, she said". Any ideas from any of you letter carriers of how to prevent a repeat or this happening to someone else's dog?
Answers:
Letter carrier here.
In the last 18 months I have sprayed 3 dogs, all of them loose from their yards with no restraints. I have never sprayed an animal in a fenced in yard as you describe, nor do I feel that the carrier was justified in doing so.
In every instance where I have sprayed a dog I have always notified the dog owner immediately and advised them to wash out the dog's eyes with warm water. They have never had to go to the vet, it is perfectly OK to do it at home. I do advise them to keep the dog away from small children until their eyes are washed out.
Why did the carrier spray your dog? Only they know.
Was it your regular carrier or someone unfamiliar with your route? If it was a fill-in carrier there is more of a chance that they over-reacted out of concern for their safety.
If you can, speak to your letter carrier personally, though not confrontationally. If they are the one who sprayed the pet they will pretty much admit it and tell you why. If not, they may be able to speak with the other carrier and mention your concerns.
Carriers are forever warned about dog bites, and if they are bitten, many times they are blamed for the incident. Therefore some carriers may feel better safe than sorry.
make sure that letter carrier IS FIRED... i am not a letter carrier but i hope that one goes to prision that IS animal abuse and it shouldn't be tolorated
SUE, SUE, SUE. he has killed your dog and he needs to pay the price! he would do the same if you did it to his dog, why should he get away with it. Dont worry about kicking up a stink when my ex-neighbour kicked my dog i bit her and ripped out a chunk of her hair (it was instinct i couldnt help it)
I don't think the letter carriers would generally know what happened.. But it sounds to me like a trigger happy mailperson.. Hitting the fence or not, I am sure that he could tell by the bark that the chihuahua was not a Rottweiler who might tear thru the fence.. I am not sure what I would expect or insist upon the outcome of this might be, but he certainly at least needs to admit that he over did it, and he is very sorry.
You might get a sign for your fence that says ' Please keep gate close, blind Chihuahua inside ' then people would be careful about the whole area...
I would definitly press charges. contact the authorities immediately and report him to the animal rescue for cruelty to animals for no reasoa. they in return will press charges
What a fuckwad! Why would someone do that? Maybe you can put up a sign saying that you have a blind dog(on the fence), wait for that same mailman to come back and confront them, or put something in the mailbox to scare the crap out of them.
I suspect that it was an unfortunate accident. I came very close to doing the same thing because of nerves shortly after a near bite myself. 7,000+ Letter Carriers a year are bitten by dogs. I suspect your poor animal may have encountered one and triggered a spray by sheer instinct. I hope your pup feels better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment