Thursday, July 30, 2009

Any ideas to what is causing this?

My newfie girl is 16 mths old. I've had her for 3 mths. A little history: At 5 mths old she severly broke her leg. In a cast immovable for 2 mths. Afterward she was placed an a 15 x 15 cage with a girl mastiff and girl newfie. She was there until I bought her at 13 mths. Now in a bigger yard, going on regular walks, and having a ball playing w/ my 2 other newfies, she suddenly starts losing weight. SHe has lost 10 lbs in 2 mths. A stool sample said no worms. She is losing undercoat as expected for spring, but she looks really skinny behind her ribs. She is scheduled for blood work, but I like to be a little educated about possibilities before results come back. Could it be because she's doing more now than she has in her whole life, or is something wrong? And what could it be?
Answers:
Get her in for the blood work as quick as possible. It may be as simple as stress or a UTI, However it could be Kidney stones, or liver disease. Everything has to function properly for the dog to be healthy. Good luck %26 hopefully it is something easily fixed. Did you get a Health Guarintee when you bought her?
Does she have any other symptoms than the losing weight? Is she drinking more? Have you noticed that she needs to go out more often? Does she sleep more than she used to? Weight loss alone can be caused by many things. I hope she is okay.
She is simply getting the exercise that was supposed to have all this time. And also, now that its getting warmer, They will eat alot less too.
Going to the vet is an absolute yes. Just to make sure there is nothing wrong. And also if she is not spayed, that will keep her trim also. Not saying that spaying her will make her fat. As long as shes worked, she'll stay looking beautiful Like all Newfies do.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/weight-loss...
I think this is an excellent site for causes and management of weight lose in dogs. I hope it will help you understand any diagnosis your vet may give you.
I don't know anything about Newfies, but I would recommend you asking them about possible thyroid problems also.

To me, yes it sounds like it could possibly be because she is alot more active, but to be certain, yes, ask your vet.
well it could be that she is just losing weight because it is getting warm out. most dogs do that. or it could be something wrong. animals tend to lose a lot of weight when they have diabetes. so that may be it and if this is the case then i will provide a link about animals with diabetes

http://www.pgaa.com/canine/health/diabet...
Hello..beings you're takin her to the vet, there's really not much to answer..as for her pottying, am guessin it's no big deal %26 often happens where there's more then one dog..like trying to mark their territory, etc..even in female dogs..no doubt the weight loss could be due to excercise %26 don't be surprised if she favors the broken leg the rest of her life or if she starts to, that's common too...good luck with the vet, am sure it's nothing ...she's probably a good weight..many do overfeed their animals..so no comparing to the pudgy ones ..LOL, in summer ours often only eat once a day, sometimes not even that !!Take Care :)
Could very well be diabetes or a UTI (urinary tract infection). I wish you the best and I hope all is well with her soon!
Hi there. I own an 8 month old Mastiff so I am not an expert by any means but the first thing I thought after I read your post was that she may have lost 10 lbs and be seeming a bit stressed( the peeing this morning) due to acclimating to her new surroundings and activity level. It doesnt sound like she was able to get much exercise until now and there have been a lot of adjustments for her. I know that anytime I have changed Monty's surroundings he has accidents and is just out of sorts. Of course it might be something else entirely that merits your concern, but I thought I would just throw in my two cents. Good luck and I hope everything turns out!
Amy Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment